View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #57
Hezman

Default Almost blew me away........

......last Saturday. I've been boating on this lake for twenty-five years and, like lots of you, have seen many irresponsible and careless moves. I generally boat on weekends and have been fortunate to avoid any close calls.

Last Saturday 's weather was awesome with low winds and fairly light boat traffic......what a day for a ride! With three others on board my boat, we were heading E/SE through the North side of The Witches. I'm always extra cautious to make sure I stay to the right and in between the pins. I had just about cleared the pins and had stood up as a boat was approaching on my port side. Suddenly, I sensed motion and noise as a (roughly) 40 foot grey Formula (PC or SS) blew past me on my port side. This boat passed within ~50 feet and made me feel like I was standing still (I was doing high twenties).

Undoubtedly, this was the scariest experience I have had in twenty-five years on this lake and my 31 foot Formula offered little feeling of comfort and safety. I can't imagine the fear that would have been created for a family in a small runabout! In the hope that the two young gents on this boat might read these posts, wake up guys. Twin big blocks powering a 15,000+ pound craft can do lots of damage.

This is not a rant, but a reminder that experienced operators have to be on guard at all times. I may have been thinking that the post-Labor Day season is a bit more relaxed on the lake, but this was sure a wake-up call.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hezman For This Useful Post: