View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I too love to give Sam and Reilly delicious treats like marrow bones when they are extra special good. Aw hell, when are dogs extra special good? EVERY MINUTE OF EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY.

Excuse my exuberence. Just be careful of the SHARP chards that contain the marrow. VERY VERY thick thigh bones with marrow are usually OK, but I watch them as they start to eat these, and take it away from them if they start breaking off sharp pieces. There is no particular brand that we can see that is always safe.
The sharp and thinning edges are always a problem, we used to get bones that where sterilized from one of the big pet stores they where good size(probably thigh or calf bones from a cow).... We would give the to the dog, let them have there chew for a while. Then when the looked like they where getting thin, we would take the bone, hit both ends with a band saw, resterilize it, and give it back to the golden.... They would last about a year to 18 months, before it got to risky to trim the ends....