View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow MacKinnon and the Corncobs

MacKinnon and the Corncobs

When Mac, our 17-pound Cairn Terrier was 7 years old, we had an absolutely horrible experience, which I need to share with all of you.
I hope what happened to us, will never happen to you and your furry friend.

Back in August of 2007, we had dinner at the lake, which included corn on the cob. Afterward my son automatically put the corncobs in the mulch pile along with the husks. As soon as I realized where the cobs had went, I got into action, but Mac beat me to them. As I approached, he got frantic and began gobbling up as fast as he could.

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of him having dry heaves and he was fast becoming lethargic. Instinctively we knew it was quite serious. I called a Lakes Region veterinary hospital, I’m not sure which one, and the doctor told me that it sounded like an obstruction and that Mac needed to be seen as soon as possible. Paul and I acted quickly. We hoped in the boat and raced to my truck. Mac laid on the floor at my feet, obviously in much distress. He didn’t even move when we went through the tolls, an event he never misses. That was one of the longest trips we’ve ever taken from the lake.

The veterinarian that I initially spoke to, referred us to Animal Medical Center of New England, which is in Nashua. We called ahead, so they were expecting us. As soon as we arrived a doctor immediately looked at Mac. By this time our little buddy was in dire shape. We were told that he was going to have to have surgery if he was to survive. Even with a surgical intervention, it was very possible that he might not make it. With an obstruction such as this, it often involves the intestines, which significantly raises the risk and recovery.

Surgery was going to cost approximately $2,500. Paul didn’t even hesitate to proceed. He whipped out his credit card and signed all the necessary papers and the doctor went to work.

We got extremely lucky. The corncob pieces did not make it into the intestines. They were too big! The doctor showed us exactly what they took out of his little stomach. It was enough to almost fill up a quart size bag. He was absolutely shocked at the size of the pieces and couldn’t imagine how he could have swallowed them in the first place.

Thankfully Mac had a good recovery. It was extremely difficult getting him to take it easy while he was healing, but he bounced back beautifully.

Last summer, after so long without having corn on the cob, I gave in to our son’s plea for some, with the condition that there would be super tight control over all the pieces. We ate dinner and you know who was absolutely crazed to have some himself. We will never serve corn on the cob again in my home while Mac is still around. That’s a promise that I intend to keep.

Even with 2 ½ years since the event, I am sitting here with tears running down my face. Please don’t learn this lesson the hard way with the loss of your beloved pet. I wish that I could have shared Mac’s story sooner, but I just couldn’t handle telling the tale. I’m sorry for those of you who share a similar story, especially if there wasn’t a happy ending like ours.

Always have the number of your veterinarian handy, along with the name and number to a 24-hour veterinary hospital. In a time of crisis, you’ll be glad you have them.

Our $3.00 bag of corn ended up costing us about $2,500 - Saving Mac’s life was priceless. Happily, he will be turning 10 in September.

Thank you Paul for your part in saving our little puppers. You’re the best!

Animal Medical Center of New England
- Nashua
They were absolutely wonderful with the care they gave Mac!

Capital Area Veterinary Emergency Service
(CAVES) – Concord

Doggie Dangers
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post: