View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #158
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It is apparent that what I do not know about the legal entanglements between the delegation, the County Commissioners, the Gunstock Area Commissioners, and the full time staff can fill volumes. I appreciate the education.

However, at some level, doesn't the county delegation control the finances of the county budgets? And if so, are there mechanisms in place for setting salaries and awarding bonuses? For example, did the senior leadership of the Sherriff's department or the county nursing home receive merit bonuses. I guess I shouldn't have much heartache about the bonuses if they were awarded in a proper manner.

And why is the GAC and the full time employees against an audit? I was a managing partner in a law firm for 8 years. If one of my partners, or our firm's bank, wanted to audit our books, I would welcome such a request. If I went kicking and screaming against it, wouldn't that raise issues to the other stakeholders?

And finally, why is the GAC making political contributions? Shouldn't a government owned entity be agnostic?
The Delegation approves the County budget... but does not set salaries/etc; that is the County Commission, an elected body.

The GAC hires for Gunstock and approves their budget... the Delegation only has the authority to appoint the GAC members on a specified format.

Gunstock is independently audited every year and has been for many years. Ness stopped this year's annual audit... when he became chair. The full time employees/management hasn't really expressed opposition to the audit.

The political contributions were approved by the GAC... which approves the budget for Gunstock.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote