View Single Post
Old 01-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #99
Denis D

If you go to the FAA website and look up HR 658-67, section 336 titled Special Rule for Model Aircraft, you will see that Dave's reply to me included the exact wording the rule contains. I don't see any ambiguity as it clearly states that you are required to notify the Airport Operator in all cases, and the Control Tower if there is one.

The rest of my responses below are my opinions based on my knowledge and understanding of the issues.

Regarding Alton Bay, it is only an FAA recognized airport when it is opened by NOTAM (Notice To Airmen) which is done by the airport operator when the ice is thick enough.

Since the rule specifies that you must NOTIFY the airport operator and does not mention seeking permission, then I would not expect permission is necessary. I don't know how much latitude the operator has in imposing some time requirement on you. I plan on calling my Airport Manager this week to find out what if any guidance they have received in this matter.

8GV - I agree with your sentiment, I do not want my life endangered by someone not following the rules. I suspect that everyone on this forum is sensible and intelligent enough to not put anyone in danger, but it is the yahoos who don't educate themselves and could care less that worry me.

Regarding how pilots are notified, that is a good question. I would expect that NOTAMs would be issued where possible. At a non-towered field, it could be recorded in the comments section on the AWOS (Automated Weather Observation System) and could be posted at the FBO.

As I said, I will be contacting my Airport Manager to see if he has answers to questions like:

Is there a minimum time between notifying the airport and when you can start flying your model?

Do you need to notify them when finished the Model activity?

How are full scale pilots notified?

Can they deny permission to operate the models?

One last comment, in the approximately 80 years we have been flying Model Aircraft, it has never been a significant problem with invasion of privacy, interference with full scale operations, operating over populated areas and other problems that have occurred since the introduction of multi rotors. If you abide by the rules of the FAA and the AMA safety rules, you won't have to worry.

Safe Flying,

Denis D