View Single Post
Old 01-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #98
8gv

To reiterate my previous comment...charlie foxtrot!

A UAV flown in the wrong place at the wrong time could kill my passenger and me!

The FAA has left this too wide open. I can imagine the call...

"Hello LCI? I intend to fly my toy within five miles of the airport today."

Tell me, what in the hell happens next that mitigates the potential unsafe situation?

LCI's weather broadcast is automated, thus there is no warning there. Do we expect one of the FBO's to give us a warning about UAV traffic when we call in our position reports (which are not required anyway)? Even if a warning is given, what is the pilot going to do?

There is ZERO chance of a pilot seeing a tiny UAV and any last second maneauvering to avoid one could cause a crash.

Keeping these hazards to aviation below 400' is only half the solution. A no fly zone around ALL airports needs to be instituted.

Looking at the "No Fly map" it seems that, in addition to the DC SFRA there are restrictions around towered airports. LCI has no tower. A look at the ramp areas on a race weekend or most summer weekends will tell you that there are some decent sized jets with many passenger seats parked there. LCI is not a "little airport".

Pilots' lives matter!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote