View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
wildwoodfam

Default Bat House woes....

We hung several bat houses around our property on LI, and never had any luck, then one night we saw maybe 20+ bats diving around going after the mosquitoes. We thought EUREKA! they finally moved in. The next day I went out with my curious duaghter to peer up inside the bat houses to see the sleeping critters....we were shocked - the houses were STILL empty!
That night once again 20 or so swooping critters feasting on the bugs! The NEXT night we set up early enough to try and figure out where they were coming from - just after dusk I heard my wife and daughter shreaking! THE BATS! THE BATS! I ran to the opposite side of the house/yard to find my wife and daughter shreaking and point up at the house peak. We counted 32!! bats crawling out through the attic vent!!

The houses still stand against the pine bark of the trees - my daughter no longer fears running to get the stray ball when it lands under one of the house because she is confident there is nobody home! BUT - ask her to go into the attic to get a Christmas decoration box - and you get - NO WAY - There are bats up there!!

As for dragonflies - we love to see they as well and have a few who visit our gardens daily!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote