View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #38
Woodsy

Jazzman....

I have to disagree with you. The NH tax system work just fine. Its supply and demand. Properties on or close to the water or properties with a view are worth more than an average property. They are worth more because people will pay more to purchase them. Blame it on human nature! A prime example is the new $500K - $600K CONDOS for sale on Scenic Road.... because they have an awesome view. Less than a mile away, you can buy a townhouse condo for $130K.... (not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but the HUGE price point difference is because of location) To this day, property on the Meredith, Laconia & Gilford side of the Lake is more valuable than similar properties in Moultonboro, Center Harbor & Tuftonboro. Why? Because for whatever reason, people desire to be on this side of the lake instead of that side.... go figure!

If anyone can afford to buy a desirable property on/near the water or with a spectacular view I am happy for you. I dont think complaining about the taxes or mortgage on your property is a viable argument. If you can afford the house, you can afford the taxes. If you dont like the way the town is spending your tax $$ then move up here and become a resident and vote your opinion. Its that simple!

I do feel a little bad for families who have had these camps/cottages forever, and thier tax bill is making them unaffordable to keep. That being said, None of those families complain when the $20K camp thats been in the family since the 60's (and you were rich in the 60's if you could afford a $20K camp) and gets sold for a $500k profit.

Woodsy