View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 03:42 AM   #72
ApS

Post NOT Advocating HP-Limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
"...If a person is operating their vessel in accordance with the law, what is the difference between a 35ft cruiser and 24ft bow rider? If a boat is doing 45 or less during the day, what difference would it make if the boat was 100 hp or 1000 hp? It all comes back to the same thing; If one follows the laws and rules of the waterways, no additional laws are needed..."
Not quite.

As Woodsy pointed out a couple of years ago, a boat will increase its wake while either accelerating or decelerating. The ability to make a monster wake increases with horsepower—all other things being equal.

Not only that, but an especially dangerous wake can be produced when accelerating—and at the same time—turning!

Even excluding all that, the difference between 100 and 1000-HP puts the weight towards the transom: This is a weight that must be overcome—indicated by a "bow-high" attitude of the boat while accelerating—somewhat less-so, while decelerating.

The same effect can be duplicated by placing all movable weight aft. (Fuel, gear, and passengers). "Wake-surfers" use this ski-boat practice to produce their huge wakes.

To prove it, just loan me it for just one weekend, and I can really churn things up!

In the absense of any proven damage, I'd be doing it legally!