View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #14
jmen24

Synthetic oils should not be started or stopped mid stream. If you have been using conventional oil, stay with that. Full synthetic should only be used if that is the only thing that the engine has seen. You could do more damage in the long run by switching. You also will not get the benefits of the wear protection, it will just cost you more. The ship has sailed on the wear protection when you have 100K existing on the engine.

You can make a switch if you really want to, but you need to change the oil every 2k miles for the first few changes, to get things cleaned out. But if you switch, stay there, don't go back, otherwise it will be all for not.

Just keep up with the oil changes, maybe a slightly more frequent pace.

A syn blend oil in my opinion is just like 89 octane gas, it is an additive to a bare bones product and hardly worth the money.

The last time I had my oil changed at VIP the kid that did the service used the wrong size socket on the oil plug, completely stripped it. They could not get the plug out, so they removed the oil filter and drained out as much as they could and then put four fresh quarts of oil in. Apparently checking the dipstick was not in the manual. When driving it home, noticed a severe lack of power and a burning oil smell. Stopped and checked the oil and it was three quarts high. Got it home and realized what a mess was really made. I have never been back since. Called and they said it was not their problem and I could not prove that they caused the damage.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote