View Single Post
Old 09-13-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
So I'm by no means an expert on this but I think there is a difference between the number of Bars (Signal Strength to tower- not typically impacted by the number of phone connections to the tower) and Congestion (where you may even have 5 bars and you cannot get any thing to go through - texts/internet/ browsing...

I'm not sure having a lot of people in the area (summer rush) would impact the number of bars but most certainly would impact the speed or lack there of a connection.

Reminds me of the old Foxboro stadium - would go to to a game and have 5 bars but could not send a single text the entire day while there = congestion.

Could be wrong...
You are correct—it's called deprioritization. I discovered it a few years back when on prepaid Verizon and couldn't use my phone on weekends or during the day. At that time, carriers were being squirrelly with how they identified the process.

I don't know about other providers, but Verizon identifies this as "premium data." For example, on their top-level plan, customers get unlimited premium data, which means they will never be deprioritized when the network is busy.

The next levels down are up to 50GB of premium data, whereas the base plans have 5 (Start) and 0 (Welcome). Prepaid plans and MVNOs are prioritized below those plans.

This only applies when the network is congested which, in the summer, is almost always.

My experience this summer, though, is that the actual signal strength has been weaker than in the past. Places I would've normally had 2-3 bars were at 1 or no service. People have mentioned that may be a reflection of Verizon moving to 5G, which does not have the same penetration ability.

Does anyone know the best way to report these experiences? I'm guessing the more complaints they get, the more they're likely to address.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote