View Single Post
Old 07-31-2021, 11:14 AM   #90
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Whoa--he has simply underlined that a captain is responsible for his craft. This is fundamental to boats...cars...guns (as you point out on the other thread re: "responsible")
There is no such thing as 100% responsible for operation of a boat, gun, car.

CRAZY things happen all the time that are beyond the reasonable limits of the operators control.

People constantly ignore dont walk signs and step out in front of cars that are properly moving and will not be able stop and so pedestrians get hit all the time, NOT the car operators fault.

Someone was recently shot while screwing around and not where they were supposed to be at the end of a rifle range when it was actively being used and got hit by a ricochet, NOT the fault of the shooter.

A novice or day renter kayaker/paddle boarder who does something they should not do like cutting in front of a moving boat exiting a dock by hugging the end of the dock and ends up harmed by another boater, has created a situation you cannot blame the boater for. If you have me on that jury you are going to find me stuck on not responsible to be able to prevent such an accident.

In cases where someone has been injured and was doing something common sense says in dangerous and created the situation, I will not point the finger of blame at the party that under other circumstances is normally the responsible individual.

If you sit on the same jury with me, you can vote however you like and it will deadlock if necessary. Such is life.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote