View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 02:39 PM   #69
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
How about an 8' RIB with a 2 HP outboard, or a 10' jon boat with only a trolling motor for propulsion. Should those be allowed around public docks that larger boats use?

Just asking in terms of trying to understand where the limit is that people feel adds risk. My paddle board is 12'6", and I'm over 6' tall. I have a tandem kayak that is 16' long. A 10' jon boat is smaller than either, and similar profile to the kayak. And with a trolling motor is quite a bit less responsive than either of the paddle powered craft.

Listen, I get it that mixed use can add risk. Going across NY Harbor in an 18' runabout with 600 ft. freighters in both directions has potential for bad things to happen. I just have a hard time, after a lifetime of "power boats yield to non-powered boats", accepting the idea that kayaks have to stay away because boats with 600 HP can't maneuver around them without risking their lives.
As the operator of paddle board, kayak, or jon boat you tell me???

If I am in a 30' power boat 4' off the water and leaving a dock on one side with just enough throttle to keep control with some wave and some wind, what are your expectations for me to see you AND be able to stop if you are traversing in a direction that will cross my exit path but you are not viable to me because you are to low or hidden behind another boat and I dont see you until you are right in front of me.

In a jon boat you will not be happy by the 2 - 5 MPH collision that will likely occur, but you may not be harmed. In a kayak, you will likely get knocked over, but again at that speed I would not expect serious injury. On a paddle board, I would have great fear you could suffer significant injury.

So assuming conditions such as I describe, where a power boat is leaving a dock at a reasonable speed, but a jon boat operator or a kayaker or a paddle boarder is traversing very close to the end of the dock ready to pass in front of the power boat but is not in any way viable to the power boat operator, how do we prevent a collision?

If I am missing something about this scenario as a boat operator, I welcome any tips anyone is willing to share, BUT I have ZERO interest in hearing its just your responsibility. That will not avoid a collision in the situation I am describing, nor will changing the scenario. This is specific to situations where the paddle board, kayak, or jon boat is NOT visible to the boat operator and will be crossing their path of exit with no advance warning possible.

Doesnt happen often, but it is something no one ever wants to experience.

So how do we prevent it, or not,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote