View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 02:43 PM   #26
Randy Owen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
I talked to the Tuftonboro Fire Chief Adam Thompson like I said I would to get his perspective concerning the Camp Belknap campers out in storm conditions.. We first had a short conversation about the incident. We didn't have much time to get into it. Then today he called me. We had a very good and interesting talk.

I asked the question: Calling the MP in this particular situation when someone sees an incident that could lead to a dangerous situation... was that the proper thing to do? He said absolutely it was the right action to take. Never hesitate to call us the MP or and authorities. It is important that we have concerned citizens and are willing to report an incident that doesn't look right or could led to more dangerous situation. If something looks wrong by all means report it to the authorities.

He continued. In this case a couple things should have happened or not happened. First there was poor judgement to allow the kids to go out to Melvin Island when a storm is approaching. The storm was also not only visible but it was being reported on Weather apps and on TV channels. The trip should have been cancelled. Or wait until there isn't any threat of a dangerous situation. But to head out as a storm is approaching was wrong.

He said by the time they got the alert from MP and Carroll County Sheriff and got the fire rescue boat out to Melvin Island the storm had passed. They found the 20 campers safe. They were there to spend the night... we were told. The chief said to me I'm sure the parents didn't expect their kids to be going on a Outward Bound adventure.

So that is the story and accounting by the Chief and I had a great call from Camp Belknap Board member. I appreciate all the positive feedback from the forum members. I got several PM supporting my thread. Now lets move on and hopefully we all can take away something from this.

Be safe but enjoy this 4th of July Holiday.... !!
"I don't know where they are going to sleep there certainly isn't much land to lay down among all the rocks and water" it is my understanding that Melvin Island is a loon nesting sanctuary site as it has been labeled for years. loons nest in wet land areas that require a 25 foot do not disturb. no part of Melvin Island is 25 feet from the wetlands. Certainly Camp Belknap respects the preservation of loons and would not risk the safety of the loons.
Randy Owen is offline   Reply With Quote