View Single Post
Old 04-15-2020, 07:28 PM   #32
4 for Boating

My Mom always brought us up to the lakes region every summer. We would be camping in tents at Gunstock (Alpine Slide). Never/ever caught one single fish in that pond they told us had loads of trout!!! Then added a canoe to the top of our light blue station wagon. We would launch it right in the Weirs Channel on the property that little miniature golf course is on now. KellerHaus on some occasions, Franken Sundae on others for Ice Cream.

Later my uncle purchased a home in Campton and had a small bow-rider at Thurston’s. He would also drive us over to Paugus bay (after us asking him a million times) so we could rent stand-up jet skis from the operator there and “try” to stand without falling - for hours. We would go every summer and as soon as I was old enough to drive the boat, he would let me and my then girlfriend (now wife) and my brother and his wife take the boat out whenever we asked. While we spun around that side of the lake, we always ended up going over to one place where we could fish and swim out of the main traffic pattern. I remember taking a ride in the Sea Plane down by the Margate (sp) Going into the gift shop across from the Naswa with the slanted floor...

Cut to today and me and my wife now have a home that can view the exact same area we used to frequent – just strangely worked out that way. I remember back then looking at the homes on the shoreline and thinking > imagine if we lived there or lived in that one…. Now we bring our own kids up (skiing too) and in addition each year have a family week where my Mother can come with all my Sisters/Brothers and their children can stay and enjoy the lake and surroundings. (It’s crowded but that’s part of the fun) We still go to Kellerhaus and toss in a family go-kart race – although that has gotten to be more or a demolition derby as the kids get older and more aggressive.

We feel very fortunate to be part of it all
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote