View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #33
Woodsy

Birchhaven....

In the interest of full disclosure, I am year round resident of the Weirs. I love it! The Veterans homes & the Bike Rally are not going away. That being said, the issues with the Weirs are many, and there is plenty of blame to spread around.

1. Property owners like the Baldi's, who let their burnt out eyesore sit there for 2 years while they played cat & mouse with the city & their insurance companies. I get that they are entitled to due process, but ultimately it was going to have to be torn down anyway. Finally tearing it down only to leave it a mess still and bury the toxic waste in the drive in! No doubt the same fate awaits the water slide.

2. The City for treating the Weirs like a red headed step child. They are happy to take as much $$$ from Weirs/Bike week as possible, with little to no re-investment into the Weirs.

3. The City for not being business friendly. A recent example is the BBQ guy that set up a temporary shop in the old Karl's parking lot. City ordinance said he could only operate x amount of weeks....

4. The State of NH for treating Bike Week as the Police Overtime Association. Way too many police for the amount of people! It discourages people from coming. They need to see how the other big rally's are run.

5. A loosening of the liquor laws.... Let people have a beer or cocktail (in a plastic cup) and walk around. Think like Key West. The Weirs needs to be inviting, not excluding!

The demographic of the area has changed dramatically. All of the old mom & pop motels are now condos. There isn't the weekly turnover of new people like there used to be. SO the question that needs to be answered is to how best attract people to the area? Everyone needs to have some input.

The "Family only" plan isn't working. There needs to be a balance of adult and family entertainment. Maybe a little less arcade, a few more bars/restaurants geared towards adults. Embrace bike week! The motel owners need to understand that shutting everything down at 11pm isn't good for them or the other businesses. The city needs to spend some $$ on keeping the Weirs looking nice. I don't think a copy of Meredith is what the Weirs needs, but it certainly needs to be spruced up. The vacant lots.... like the Baldis & soon the waterslide need to be addressed. No Bike Week vendor permits unless your property looks nice and is kept up to code.

There is lots more I am sure!

Woodsy