View Single Post
Old 09-26-2023, 06:54 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Does anyone have input on the lifespan of my 2016 20' Harris Cruiser tritoon and Mercury 150 outboard?

It's in immaculate shape with something like 350 hours, but I'm wondering when it might make sense to look into replacing it.

I'm relegated to a 20' vessel for where I keep it, and it looks like there have only been minor advances in that time (200 HP max now vs. 150, slightly better performance packages, etc.).

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
The question is why do you want to replace it....

I have owned two pontoon boats since 2018.....
The first was a 1999 Sylvan 24 elite, that was in fabulous shape when I boat it at 19 years of age, with to notable exceptions, the cover needed to be replaced and it need more then its 60 H.P. engine (my opinion only)... I was going to repower it and get a new cover made, when I found a 2004 Crest, roughly the same size, with a 90 H.P. engine, and a cover in great shape... If fixed both my problems.. and with the sale of the 1st pontoon actually saved me money.. Both these boats where being sold because the owners just didn't use them enough.....

At 7 years old and 350 hours, you average around 50 hours a year..... average use in my book....but at this point the age of the boat is the detractor in the sale.... the engine has plenty of life left in it....

My point is this, if your boat full fills your needs and is not in need of any major repairs due to age... all your doing is spending money, and allow someone else to reap the rewards of you taking the depreciation hit.....

Currently I have an older boat, in great shape and I owe nothing on it....
I couldn't replace the boat even with a used one for any less then probable 30K....