View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #15
Soccer Coach

Red face Lake Norman OK, but not Winni

I live in North Carolina, and grew up very near Lake Norman. Big lake, but does not compare to Winnipesaukee. I worked 11 summers on Lake Winnipesaukee during and after college.

Norman was formed when a large dam was built near Charlotte on the Catawba River. Hydroelectric plant there, rather than nuclear. A lot of farms were leveled and covered with water to form the lake in the early 50s. Lots of old farmers thought they had made a lot of money when they sold lots in the 50s. They wouldn't believe what they go for today.

Google Lake Norman on Wikipedia. There is info about the lake that is accurate, as well as a picture of what the shorline looks like. Popular lake with lot to like for a man-made lake. Water is cloudy, and gets muddy in the coves when boats and water skis are running.

Lots of different kids of fish in the lake, mostly bass and crappie. I guess there are eels in there, but I have never seen one.

Comparison with Winaukee unfair as Noman is less than 60 years old. I'm a N.C. native, but Winnipesaukee is my favorite place on earth!
Soccer Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soccer Coach For This Useful Post: