View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 07:22 AM   #91
ApS

Default Stuffs, Statistics, Sailboats and SUVs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
"...Thaks ApS for this text book example of Mark Twains often quoted observation: "There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics...!"
Gee...when the 2006 NH Boating Accident report came out, all the "unlimited speeds" crowd were delighted that Winnipesaukee accidents were shown to be decreasing. They were even happier when the Coast Guard statistics for 2005 showed the very same decrease in accidents.

Did anybody make a note that the accident-reporting law had changed the requirement from $500 damage to a new $2000 threshold in 2004?

Now there's one sure-fire technique for New Hampshire—and the Coast Guard, using NH's statistics—to decrease the accident rate! What a great way to support "Unlimited Speeds"!

Who quoted Mark Twain back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
"...If someone used a sailboat recklessly, causing death to another, the sailboat would be a "deadly weapon", in Maine..."
Yup. Gotta hate those reckless sailboaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
OK APS, lets say that capt drunkie didn't bring his horrible instrument of death to this little lake in Maine, but instead brought it off shore (where you claim it belongs anyway) and did the exact same thing (got drunk, operated too fast for the conditions and hit a smaller vessel killing 2 people and launching the boat onto shore). Do you feel better now that it happen on the ocean where this boat belongs?
You don't see these "instruments of death" offshore.

Big waves make for "stuffs", "hooks" and "flips". It's too salty, too many big things to collide with, makes the anchor dirty, there's toothy things to step on, the graphics get spotted, the salt causes unsightly deposits on the drive coolers, and you have to get knowledgeable about all that navigation stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
"...For those who are narrow minded , with tunnel vision , keep in mind it's ALL this type of boats fault..."
If there's any tunnel vision on the lake, it's with those who "can't see kayaks". I remember when Lake Winnipesaukee's paddlers, skiers, and sailors didn't have the close calls and tragedies we're witnessing today. (And I have no difficulty seeing kayakers of any size or color).

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
"...Having driven a few just like it, and quite possibly the same boat when it was at the dealer new, it is capable of 80-81mph under optimal conditions...Cars are capable of doing over 100mph, yet if an accident happens at 45mph does it get brought up that it is a 100mph car? If I swerve into another car on the way home at 45mph and killed someone is it my SUV's fault...?
SUVs capable of 100-MPH+ are often seen driving near 80-MPH in the 70-MPH zones—as allowed in dozens of states.

The same 70-MPH maximum-speed zones are linked with a minimum speed—usually 45-MPH: this is to allow the driver time to brake to avoid a collision at high speed.

Boats don't have brakes.

There is no minimum speed for boats. Indeed, Maine invites boaters to anchor on Maine waters at night.

What were they thinking?