View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #22
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Smile Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post

There may be no impact, and like other environmental issues, would probably be impossible to prove, and more impossible to defend. But I personally wish that they would be banned. With modern raise-style docks, how hard would it be to have a removable dock instead of keeping circulators running att the time?
The main factor if bubblers were outlawed would be the cost and logistics of manufacturing thousands of docks just for Winnipesaukee alone. Over the last few years I have replaced two of my docks with aluminum docks that raise in the winter. The docks cost approximately $10,000 each. There was a wait of 3 to 9 months just to have them fabricated and installed. For many families that are struggling to hang on to their waterfront homes the cost might be the final nail in the coffin that causes them to have to sell. All of the bubblers on a lake the size of Winnipesaukee could not affect more than 1/8 of 1/2 of 1% of the total lake area so I would think that the environmental impact of bubblers is insignificant. (Math may be questionable)