View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #88
Susie Cougar

BROADHOPPER, I like your story. I am sorry though that you had to sell your camp because you couldn’t afford the taxes.

My parents owned a small camp in the1950s and sold it in 1963 when we moved into our new summer home.
My father had been looking for many years for land to build the new home on. Back then, there was so much land. For years it seemed all I did as a kid was walk through the woods looking for metal markers to find the boundaries of property that my dad was looking at. Or, I was told to go into the lake and walk out so my father could see how deep the water was.

He ended up buying a lot of land and sold many lots as well after he subdivided them. He put very strong restrictions on what you could build. Back then, he put a minimum square footage on the house size. He also made the set backs further than what the town required. He stipulated that it could only be a one story house because he did not want anyone’s view to be obstructed by anybody else’s dwelling.

In other words, he wanted to make sure that everyone was happy and everyone got their moneys worth.
Today, everyone seems to only be thinking of themselves and their own enjoyment and not how what they do affects anyone else.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post: