View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #22
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
10 minutes?? I doubt it, it probably takes ten minutes to get to the generator from time of arrival if you consider that he probably has to talk to the customer first. Then the enclosure needs to be removed. The timer doesn't start from the time the wrench hits the oil plug...... Shopping around for more prices probably wouldn't be a bad thing, but I think most are forgetting that a business has many more expenses than just the guy doing the job. Is $200 expensive? Maybe, but I don't think it's too far off. The repair person has to drive from account to account in a truck that needs to be paid for along with the associated expenses such as maintenance, gas and insurance. Then he needs tools. He needs a way to take calls, he needs to provide quotes, customer service. He needs a way to collect his money and get it to the bank. He needs to pay taxes, plus all the other bureaucratic stuff that needs to be handled.

Would it be cheaper to do it yourself? Absolutely, if you know what you are doing, otherwise it could be a huge mistake.
That's the funny thing, being the General Manager of a multimillion dollar remodeling company, I am just slightly intimate with the labor burden you speak of. I also never said that this would take less than an hour in total, but more than ten minutes for oil to drain, come on!

Think about how many of these services they do in a week.

I still love the comments downplaying the expertise of a licensed master electrician to perform this service. Considering they are qualified to install a generator, you would think they would be qualified to perform this service.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote