View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #27
Rinkerfam

Woodsy, when you mention "pre-existing laws" you summed up my argument since day one. I must have been on a different Winnipesaukee than all of the SL supporters this summer. When the weather was nice it was a mad-house out there. (By mad-house I don't mean the number of boats out there or the speeds that they were traveling). I'm sure I wasn't the only boat that had other vessels pass at distances far less than 150'. I'm sure that I wasn't the only boat that had to surrender to a "give-way vessel" numerous times. I'm also sure that I wasn't the only one to be horrified at all the boats traveling through the Governor's/Eagle NWZ just below planing speed creating monster wakes while the MP looked on without care. Maybe the SL supporters are among those who don't know what 150' means. Maybe the SL supporters are among those who don't know who is the "stand-on or give-way vessel" in a given situation. Otherwise it would stand to reason that they would be complaining about those safety concerns as well. I guess as far as the SL supporters are concerned having a boat pass by them at 50' is ok as long as it isn't going more than 45mph. Heck, we could really streamline things by doing away with all of the existing boating laws other than HB 847 since it is apparently the only law we need to be safe. What a fool I am for not realizing this sooner.