Thread: Squam Warning!
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #12
MikeF-NH

I have seen this Squam lake warning a few times on this site and also on other sites and I'm a little shocked how many people are hearing this for the first time.

NH Fish and Game have posted consumption warnings here: https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fis...ume-fresh.html for several to many years. The PCBs are not locally generated but rather are generated in the factories of the upper mid-west and "rained" on our lakes in every storm. They accumulate in our fish (the bigger the fish, the higher the concentration of PCB). That means if you eat ANY NH fresh water fish, you are consuming poison in the form of PCBs. Not lethal doses mind you but the guideline indicates limits to consumption meaning a few "feasts" will put you over the safe consumption limit from any NH water body.

I see many pictures of people keeping salmon and bows which is both legal and ethical but I have to wonder if they are not aware of the dangers. Be careful people...get your fish at the store if the Squam warning scares you. Otherwise eat eat eat NH fish - it is your right to consume PCBs in any quantity.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote