View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 05:09 PM   #19
MeredithMan

Default Brazil and Argentina are fanatical...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I find it admirable the way so many countries around the world display tremendous sense of national pride for their team during World Cup. Not so much here at home. Conversation around the dinner table seems to be more about a fear that our players are about to embarrass us with political statement. I hope we win and I hope we keep our mouth shut and our flag of the ground.
So way back in 2006, I had a business trip to call on customers in Brazil and Argentina during the World Cup. A couple of weeks before the trip, I was working the agenda with our local guys and 1 of the days in Brazil and 1 of the days in Argentina, there were no meetings scheduled. When I asked why, my colleague told me that's when Brazil and Argentina were playing, and all business shuts down so everyone can watch the game. My colleague lived in Sao Paulo and on the day of the Brazil game, he had a "watch party" at his apartment and invited me over. His apartment was on about the 10th or 12th floor. Brazil won their game and when it ended, suddenly outside the apartment there was this mega BOOM and flash. People were shooting off huge fireworks down on the street that were exploding outside his apartment 10 floors up!! Next thing I knew, my new Brazlian friends from the Watch Party and I were headed to the neighborhood bars and people were dancing in the streets, waving flags, blowing those obnoxious horns...it was crazy.

Then, two days later in Argentina, it was the same thing all over again!! It was an experience I will never forget!
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: