View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 05:34 PM   #11
DickR

Default Success!

Earlier this week, I grabbed a Craftsman 21" push/walk-behind mower at the town dump. Decoding the serial number told me it's a 2008, only 14 years old. It has a Briggs & Stratton 5.5 HP 158 cc engine. It was pretty dirty, and it looked like it had not been well maintained. A test pull gave a scraping sound. That turned out to be the blade hitting a blade guard underneath, so I fixed that with a hammer. I tried to start the mower, with no luck. Time to open the hood.

The air cleaner was filthy, but that was easily cleaned and set aside. The carburetor also was fouled badly. I took the time to view a couple of Youtube videos on removal and cleaning the thing, then did so, using carburetor cleaner and blowing all the surfaces and passages with a blast from my air compressor. I also reset the clearance between ignition coil and flywheel. I had to hunt for the right clearance; it varies from one engine to another. I found the number to use (0.010") in a review of a replacement coil; someone noted that it came with a piece of paper with that spec printed on it and intended for use in setting the clearance.

After reassembling everything and adding fresh fuel, it still would not start. Then I had a smack-on-forehead moment when I noticed I had not reattached the throttle plate spring. My efforts were rewarded when the engine fired right up. That was indeed satisfying.

But now I have to dispose of the old mower. The body will go to the dump, as the rust on it renders it unusable. The 5.0 HP engine still runs well, though, and I hate to see that trashed. I imagine if I take the whole rig to the dump as is and attach a sign saying the engine still runs, then someone will grab it. Maybe Mark Richter (small engine repair on rte 25) would take it? Anyway, end of story, and all is well now.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote