View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 07:29 PM   #86
Crusty

Just saw this thread... I've had worsening tinnitus for at least 20 years now. Mine sounds like a large air handler (with a slightly squeaky belt). It's quite realistic.

I have tried a variety of "cures" and made a few tests, like cut out coffee (nope) , lose weight (helped other things, but not tinnitus), turmeric (nothing), some other patent medicines.

As it grows louder over time, I worry that it's only a matter of time until the neighbors start to complain.

I've learned to ignore it (until reading this thread) so I sleep well. I do not advise "white noise". I've had a lot of experience with it (all bad) and it simply gives the brain additional input to process. [Anyone who has experienced "white noise" at work can testify to the relief felt when the system shuts off.]

If you can't condition yourself to ignore your tinnitus, try consulting a professional hypnotist (seriously). A slight suggestion to ignore it may well be all you need to at least live comfortably with the condition.

One 'comforting thought': I've been told that should I ever go completely deaf, I'll still be able to hear the air handler with the squeaky belt.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post: