View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 12:57 AM   #11
Bear Islander

GWC...

I just checked out the Winnisquam Marine Webcam and read their source code (in internet explorer you just click "view" and then "source"). They are using the exact same JavaScript html coding that I am using on the streaming BearCam. This is not surprising because they have an Axis 2120 and I am using an Axis 2110, an almost identical camera. And we both are using the JavaScript because Axis gives it out free on their web. Because we are using Java in our cameras, you need Java in your computer to be able to view the video.

If you download and run JavaScript from the link that Islander gave in a post above you should be able to view both cams. I don't know if Java runs on older versions of Windows, or if there is some other reason why your computer is having a problem.

I'm not sure what you mean about a security risk, Java is an industry standard, but if you don't want to load it, that's up to you.

One thing some may not understand. When you view a still CAM image you are downloading it from the ISP that hosts my web pages. But to get the streaming video the hosting is done by the camera itself. Your computer is going right into my kitchen and getting the images directly from the camera. And because I can't get a cable modem or DSL on Bear my internet connection is via a two way satellite link. This is a complex operation and I'm not surprised that it fails sometimes. What surprises me is that it works at all.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote