View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoBarb11 View Post
Just beware that many if the bays down here in SWFL are very shallow. Estero Bay for example is pretty much a “puddle” in my opinion with the majority of the bay anywhere from 1-1/2 to 4ft deep. You are pretty much restricted to dredged out channels where the water may be up to 12ft. The coastal water off Ft Myers range from 12-18 ft for quite a ways out. More than enough depth to “move around”. Tides generally only change about 1-1/2 to 2 feet or so. I’ve got a 25ft cuddy that draws about 30” with the drive fully down so water depth here is something I look at very closely. It is definitely a different world when it comes to boating down here. Lots of shallow bottom, outboards instead of I/Os, and deeper draft boats restricted to channels and rivers. Can you tell I miss Winnie?

Thanks. I've been studying the charts and it's astounding how shallow it is. Reminds me of upper Chesapeake Bay. I might be adjusting my trip a bit further north between Tarpon Springs and Fort Meyers. I hear the experience on the water is similar, but the expenses are dramatically reduced and since I have no experience boating in FL, it's all good...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote