View Single Post
Old 09-03-2017, 10:35 AM   #54
ApS

Arrow Leaving White Mountain Airport, But Here It Is, Anyway...

Quote:
"...Where the Civil Air Patrol has gone is anybody's guess..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSTOFF View Post
They have a Cessna based out of Concord
Thanks for that.

A little CAP factoid:
Quote:
"A German commander later confirmed that coastal U-boat operations
were withdrawn from the United States "because of those damned
little red and yellow airplanes."

By the end of the war, 64 Civil Air Patrol members had lost their lives in the line of duty".
(!)

Quote:
...suggest you check out this 'old NH airport' website ......'This site' ....... It shows among other old NH air strips.....the old seaplane & small plane air strip ... Lakes Region Airport .... way down Wolfeboro Neck, and the old White Mountain Airport in North Conway that is now a shopping mall....believe what used to be the airplane hanger and airport office has been totally reconstructed and modified ..... now home to a large Old Navy retail store .... with a very expensive looking biplane weather vane atop the retail roof.....plus Route 16 in N Conway was a very different road in the old photo ... and, this is progress .....yikes!
When I turn right onto the old White Mountain Airport property, I promptly get lost!

Last I heard, a condominium built on the former airport property has fallen into disrepair.

More information on the hanger's copper weathervane formerly located on the Orvis store [airport hanger], and the "2013-news" is, that store is (was) vacant. here. That weathervane isn't intended to be a good replica of the Waco biplanes maintained at White Mountain Airport.

If you'd bought tickets to fly The Red Baron at the White Mountain Airport, you'd have bought them from the wife of the Red Baron pilot—who was my Dad. White Mountain Airport had a Blue Waco, too, but don't know if it had a name. Two of the "tourists" flying together over Mt. Washington included John McEnroe and Ilie (Nasty) Nastase.

Every pilot loves to fly, and my Dad had it in spades. He "commuted" with his Cessna 180 from Wolfeboro Air Park to White Mountain Airport so he could fly some more!

Also below, a portion of a 1984 Granite State News article by local, Jean Batchelder. I haven't seen anything of late by Jean Batchelder, and don't know what a VASI system is, but pretty sure it's gone.

Hard to believe that a serviceable dock was replaced in 1984, then replaced again in 1995, then replaced again in 2014 (with three docks), then two docks replaced again last year. I've picked the wrong career!

Attached Images