View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Resident 2B

Default Interesting Weather Ahead

I do not know where to put this, on the CLA's Winter Thread or on his new Spring Thread. I decided to put it here because this is really a spring type of storm that will likely have a variety of conditions depending on what it does and where you live.

The next few days will be stormy. That is the only safe statement at this time. There are all kinds of complications at this time of the year with storms. CLA pointed this out in a recent post.

Today we have a strong, secondary cold front crossing the area with rain and possibly some snow in front of it. However, the real news is what does this front do after it passes our area, and even more importantly, what forms on the front if it stalls to our south.

It looks like the front will stall to our south, and that two low pressure areas will form on it and move up. This time of year there is plenty of energy around due to air mass contrasts. This is clearly the case today with impressive warm and cold air masses in the area. So, the stage is set for a significat storm, somewhere.

The biggest questions are, exactly where will the storm or storms go, how much cold air gets pulled down from Canada during these events and how much moisture will there be with the storm.

There is plenty of moisture available, so there will be a lot of something, and perhaps a lot of mixing. If one was to go with the best track for snow, with the biggest draw of the cold air, this could be an impressive storm for the Lakes Region. However, I think the track will be a bit too far south and east for this to happen.

There is a lot a variety in the forecast by the "Big Houses", and from what I have read, significant variety of opinions within the "Big Houses". NWS looks to me to be on the fence right now. This is perhaps the best place to be right now. AccuWeather's official forecast has a foot of snow or more in our area, but there are significantly different opinions ranging from a few inches to a few feet just within their top forecasters.

As with any spring type of storm, anything and everything could happen. Pay close attention to the weather forecasts during the next 36 hours as things could really change.

This should be interesting!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote