View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post

But the bottom line is that steel rusts. The rust begins while sitting on the new car lot. Clamps, bolts, brake lines, etc. may be of ordinary cheep unpainted steel that does begin to rust right away.
Ding Ding Ding.... yes that is the truth. And the beginning and end of the story...

While you may feel good about spraying the underside of your truck with oil, and you may think it looks as good as new, it is not. I know people that have done this for years, some who even still do it.

Living in Vermont for 10 years I heard it all...... But I watched vehicles of the same age, go through the same issues regardless of under coating... The biggest thing you can do is to make sure you wash the undercarriage of you vehicle through out the winter months.....

Eventually brake lines go, if you look at them weeks after your oil treatment, you will find not much oil remains... Same thing goes for bushings, rubber boots, etc. These are things that people that keeps cars long term expect to replace..... Oil Treatement or no oil treatment, weather, salt grime etc. all eventually brake these components down....

What you fear replacing is the frame of the vehicle.... Which are hollow steel on trucks.... the best protection for them is provided at where they are produced..... when they get a nice paint bath... Your right the fear is rotting from the inside out.... Companies used to only paint the outside of frames.... and yep the oil would help some what as it would get up in side, through the various wholes in the frame, and protect the inside.... if the frames have been dip coated this simply isn't as big of a problem anymore....