Thread: AM BER Alert
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #18
Skip

Post No State or Federal Mandate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
...I am NOT against these cell phone text messages.
But this should be an OPT IN. Not mandatory. This should be an option for cell phones - not mandatory built in by the state government, FCC, and Homeland Security...
Just for clarification. This IS an option for cell phones, and one that your carrier chose to include as an option on your particular plan/device. By default, it comes enabled on your phone but is very easy to turn off either by simply Googling your particular phone or calling your service provider for instructions.

The Government developed the universal standards to deliver presidential, government and AMBER alerts for use by all carriers, but to opt in was voluntary on your carrier's part. There was/is no mandate by the Government that any cell phone company participate.

If you do not believe that it should come automatically enabled, then your complaint is with your service provider and not the State or Federal Government, FCC or Homeland.

For the few times I have received an alert, even in the middle of the night, I appreciate the feature myself and am glad my carrier (Verizon) allowed it as an option.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post: