View Single Post
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #268
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
As I am sure you are aware running WOT with a load applied (such as exiting a corner) and running WOT at redline (such as entering a corner or missing a shift) are two completely different animals and the damage to the vehicle is different (in most cases).
In marine applications there is always a steady load and there is no missed shifts. Except when you are wave dancing. There is an electronic rev limiter that can be turned on and off from the dash. Really handy when dancing. This is what I saw at the top gun school in Aventura.

I was told not to be too concerned with over revving in marine applications because of steady load. the rev limiters installed by the factory is only for warranty purpose and can be overrided with a reprogram of the ECU. Using the correct pitch prop to get WOT 'in the zone'

A good rev limiter cuts out the spark one cylinder at a time to avoid a total shut down which could cause a mechanical shock and early parts failure. My last look at these products are good examples of rev limiters. The MSD and the Jacobs line.