View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Hi All,
We have an all-electric split-level home, which we love (quiet, no maintenance, etc.) but as you can guess, it's getting expensive. I always thought we'd go solar, but I'm not sure our house orientation will work well. My basement is finished and we don't have an easy place for an oil tank/boiler, etc. A few years ago we had central air installed by installing ducts in our attic, which, with cold air falling, keeps the downstairs cool as well.
The attic has 24" of blown-in insulation and we replaced all the doors, windows, and siding in the last five years. We use a wood stove upstairs, so the individual thermostats in each room work well to keep far away rooms balanced. We currently keep the upstairs at 65 all the time, which is comfortable for both us and the doggie when we're at work. The downstairs is kept at 60.

Thoughts on heating/cost-saving options?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Mitsubishi mini splits would be the way to go. Their newer “hyper heat” models I believe are still 80% efficient at -10 below. Contact Steve Gorse at Home Energy products in Belmont. I believe their is some sizable rebates through the state as well. Steve will be able to tell you all about it.

Dan