View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #28
garysanfran

I'm curious about the historic number of students in the area. I tried to find the year-to-year population of Interlakes and I couldn't easily.

If the number is increasing, year-over-year, I'm perplexed as to why the employment shortage for filling entry-level positions.

SAMIAM stated recently, he'd take anyone with a pulse in his restaurant.

Another member recently posted that his 12 yr. old is making over $25/hr. doing landscaping on his own.

The restaurant and entertainment industry is extremely important in this touristy Lakes Region. But, I wonder if the young entry-level kids see the food industry as not career oriented enough?

I saw an article recently on the unreal salary expectations of recent college grads, expecting $100k+ for their first job and the disappointing reality that ensues.

I have friends that have made the food industry their careers and very successfully so.

At the ages of senior citizens today, they're not in the kitchen washing dishes or busing tables. They are in senior management positions or owners.

All of them have at least bachelor degrees in the food industry. One has a masters and has travelled all over the world and lived an exciting life doing so...In my opinion, a landscaper locked into the geography they've built their business in loses some geographical flexibility.

A good food worker can travel almost anywhere worldwide and get employment. Remember, recently before pandemic, all those Eastern European summer workers that would spend their summers here? The Weathervane at The Weirs relied on those workers and has been closed now since 2019.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post: