View Single Post
Old 01-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #58
Crusty

A little first-person testimony on "per capita alcohol consumption". I am not a resident of NH (Ohio, actually). For a number of years, I spent summers at a lakeside cottage I owned. Currently, I spend maybe a week or two every couple years at a family property on the lake.

Back in Ohio, it is considered amusing that, upon entering NH on any highway, the FIRST encountered road sign reads "NH State Liquor Store Next Right". [Lots of photographs.] In NH's defense, I tell them that it's a safety feature; after a long drive, one can purchase an inexpensive bottle of spirits. The "welcome center" next door provides complimentary setups and mixers. You can them drive on refreshed and relaxed, without construction-induced road rage. Always gets a chuckle.

Levity aside, at the border stores I very seldom encounter anyone from NH buying anything. On one memorable occasion, a stranger offered me several wine coolers. When I declined, he insisted saying that he was from Canada, and was already at the maximum amount of liquor permitted.

As for my own purchasing habits, last summer, I hit the liquor store in Gilford (next to Patrick's) and purchased a couple cases of assorted fine liquors --about the same amount as the annual NH "per capita" rating. These ALL went back to Ohio and it will take me several years to consume it all.

It is clear that, in NH, the bulk of liquor store purchases are taken out-of-state for consumption by other than NH residents. In my personal observations of people during my summer sojourns, I also am of the belief that we "summer people" do more drinking than actual residents.

Anytime you pay attention to "studies" made by unqualified individuals, whose methodology is not carefully planned and justified, you simply reduce your own knowledge of the subject.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post: