View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdarby View Post
I applaud your DIY skills. I’ve never been too mechanically inclined! I did tackle changing one of the belts and it became a bigger pain in the a$$ than I had wanted! I know most certainly I could change the oil myself but I want a Pro to give it some TLC! Now if your heart stops or you stop breathing….that’s where I have a particular set of skills! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Having changed belts, cables, drive chain, friction wheel, ETC, Etc, etc I can tell you the belt change on my old Craftsman was SOB! Did it several times and it never got better ;-)

Oil change is within the ability of most people and rarely does anyone use them enough to need spark plugs, so for the first few years most machines need little work, but once they get older they can be a lot of work.

My Craftsmans motor was a beast and never let me down. At one point it started surging and I replaced the carb with a new one as it was like $10 more than the rebuild kit. The problem I ran into was endless small things failing. Belts were a regular item once it got older, then control cables, and just a bunch of small things like springs and friction wheel and such,,,

Its not rocket science to fix them, but it can be a real pain. Thank god for youtube videos, they can be a life saver as the manuals are often very lacking in detail ;-)
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote