View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Thinkxingu - let me try and grab some of your answers from a NEST user of 5 cams

-- how many cams? ……. the field of view for these cams is quite wide so one cam for example could cover your entire backyard or large living space. You do have the ability to zoom in and leave/set zoomed. this of course shrinks the wide angle affect. As far as how many cams to use, my suggestion would be to start with perhaps 2 and get use to them, Then you can decide ( or get hooked as I did). A great example of the wide angle view is to simply view the following ( which I am fairly confident is slightly zoomed & set) https://video.nest.com/live/4B5aUz6Fe7

How long do they last? ……. I have 2 cams that are at least 7 years old

Can they be run off an outdoor light -- all you need is an AC plug within reach of the cord length (6-8 ft? / check spec's). Do be aware however that some models are indoor use only and others for exterior (weatherproof). If you try and "cheat" by placing an indoor unit on a windowsill looking out, they are VERY sensitive to back reflection from the glass. This occurs especially at night and the unit will be virtually useless if you utilize the "night vision" mode.

Knowing an Event occurred -- with NEST in your App settings you can choose how to get alerts-- for me, not all cams are set for alert, Those that are pop up on my phone similar to receiving a text msg.

Hope this helps …….. need more detail, simply PM me.
Awesome, thanks! I think the first solution to seek is power--I've got outdoor lights I could use in both locations but I can't recall a (close) AC outlet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote