View Single Post
Old 04-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #134
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Flying Yankee and Mini Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
You learn something new from the locals everyday in strange ways. Now I know why this boat is featured on this postcard. I did not know this until I seen your reply and put the two together. .......... Notice ........ no minature golf in this photo.

Thankyou

The Flying Yankee was a c./1964 38' Chris Craft Sea Skiff, used for charters. I recall one day, I and two others were using the Yankee to upgrade our commercial captain's licenses. The first guy to go backed out of the dock. OOPS! About a foot, before he realized he had not untied the boat. Very embarrassing. On another occasion, the Yankee was on a bare boat charter, no captain, and they drove into the shallow waters south of Farrar Point where she perched on the rocks with a hole in her bottom.. In the early 60's, charts were printed by the NH Public Utilities Commission who also maintained the nav aids. Looking at my 1962 chart, there is a 'U' configuration of buoys in that cove so you can navigate along the shore, but nothing to indicate the middle of the bay is full of rocks. Since that time FL84 has been added, and the Bizer chart , in red, states "numerous shallow rocks in this area". Minimal damage, except for the running gear, so she was repaired and put back into service.

As for the mini golf:
That was a "Lomma" course, a company that built and shipped these courses all over the country. This one was inside the ballroom. 2-3 times a week it was taken apart and stored on dollies so the big bands could perform. Those crowds were dwindling so the Irwins upgraded the building (more fire exits) so they could have bigger crowds and moved to rock bands and concerts. Dancing was still not legal on Sundays, so those were concerts, seating on the dance floor. I recall names like "Peter & Gordon", "Teddy and tre Pandas" and "The Barbarians". In the winter, they stored boats on the dance floor.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote