View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #50
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I believe the reference is to Gilford police chief Anthony Bean Burpee, so male. Mcdude asks what difference that would make. I guess some jobs have some kind of "morality clause" but I don't know what those standards are. Morality can be hard to determine. In this day and age homosexuality is no longer immoral for more than half of the country (judging from the acceptance of gay marriage both legally and in the public perception). But having a relationship with a pedophile (a criminal) would impugn a public servant. Apparently people who violate morality norms are at risk of blackmail, which impairs their ability to perform their duties. Heterosexual relationships between employees of the same company or agency are sometimes prohibited because they create boundary issues like favoritism and power imbalances. Legally, I don't think it matters whether the Gilford police chief is male or female or gay or straight, but I think a connection to a pedophile would matter a great deal.
Also at the same time, the police chief was allegedly having an affair with another man, it cannot be expected that he knew what the other man was doing as well.
I would imagine he stepped down due to the investigation on the sex crimes revealed his infidelity and as stated above, from a morality standpoint not a good look for the Police chief to be stepping out in any circumstance, and then the possible connection to what the other person on top of it.