View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #257
gokart-mozart

Default He did wrong - but it was a very, VERY minor offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I don't have a horse in this race, I've joined late, and I've never owned a gun. But there is one scenario in all this that I've wondered about.

If we forget for the moment the call from the niece, the steps described by Mr. Bird do not seem that unreasonable to me.

If I did own a gun, and I was worried about some crazy looking in my home windows, wouldn't it make sense that if I was going out to check, I would take the safety off the gun in order to be prepared for anything?

Similarly, it seems that it would make equal sense, that I would check and set the safety before re-entering the house to make sure nothing could happen in there.

Again, I'm not a gun owner so I don't know what is taught in gun safety classes. But checking the safety before entering a house seems like it would have been a reasonable and conditioned step for a gun owner.

Yes?
He made a mistake, one that no handgunner should make. I imagine he was pissed off and wanted to make an impression. This is now legal in NH (as of 1/1/11) but it wasn't legal when he did it.

He should pay a $100 fine. 3 years in the slammer is a travesty. I, too, hope he's home soon.