View Single Post
Old 05-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Can I interject in this craziness here.....About the extension cord specifically....

Extension cord is an ambiguous term... there are many types... some where are designed to be used with low wattage lights etc. in side your home... Some that are meant to be used outside with low wattage devices... Right on up to heavy duty extension cords used to connect a RV or Boat to a power source....

What are hot tub manufactures warning against? Having an inappropriate extension cord which could cause a fire.... or other danger...

If you run a outlet to the Hot tub, you are in essence using an extension cord.... however it if it is done by an electrician, you are probably going to end up with a dedicated circuit, and by code the wire used will be off the correct size to deal with the current load to provide the power needed at the hot tub.

If I put a dedicated circuit off my main box, with the correct receptacle, and used a have duty extension cord to my hot tub... That should in no way void a warranty....

IF the OP has done his work right, and used the proper equipment in his set up, he shouldn't have casued an issue with the hot tub itself.... If he is smelling a burning smell it could be a legitimate problem with the tub....

However as he is using an extension cord he opens that door.... but if he provides details to show that his setup is as good, or better then having an electrician install a to code circuit and outlet... A court would be hard pressed to rule against him.