View Single Post
Old 06-18-2015, 11:47 AM   #42
dippasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I catch a lot of grief for oiling my vehicles but I really don't care. It does work and no amount of washing in the winter will protect your vehicle as well as oil will. It's not just protecting the underside, but protecting the body from rusting too.

Crawl up under my truck and the thing looks as new, no rust anywhere. Really the only way to appreciate just how good it works is to take a look at one that has been treated vs one that hasn't. The older they are the more stark the difference is. I work on my own vehicles and keep them a long time, I do it because I hate dealing with rust and corrosion, and the oiling prevents all that from ever starting.
Amen!
I have a 96 Ford F-250 Crew cab with 102k. (Almost 20 years old) that I bought 4 years ago. I put a lot of work into the engine and I want it to last 20 more if possible. It is not my primary vehicle and sits a lot. I'd love to be able to buy a new one every few years but can't.
Oiling the undercarriage stops further rusting, protects my investment and makes it much, much easier for me to work on. (Fasteners stay in good condition). The impact on the environment is minimal compared to a 6500lb truck going to the crusher prematurely because of rust IMHO.