View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
RI Swamp Yankee

I spent the night in the Warwick RI Police station!! .... with about 300 other people.

Got one of the last commuter busses out of Providence RI going south. The driver stayed off Rt 95 and took secondary roads. He got as far as Warwick when the traffic just stopped. Around 9pm the people on the buss started walking the mile or so to the police station in hopes they would give us shelter. We were greeted with hot coffee, hot chocolate and several hundred others that were stranded. Fortunatly they had a large lobby and large community room. Met up with some people I knew and we sat around telling jokes and laughing for hours. (the laughing seemed to irritate the grumpy ones around us) Got a few hours sleep on a gym mat in a hallway next to a guy that snored badly but because of the 38 on his hip I thought it wise not to poke him. In the morning we had some beef stew from the emergency Civil Defense rations, boy did that taste good Got a ride almost home from a police captain that afternoon. It only took me about 24 hours to get home from the time I left work.