View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

I was living in Bossier City LA at the time, and my grandfather (Dad's dad) passed away on the Saturday before the blizzard hit (a Monday). Dad was on a cruise with his boss in the Caribbean. I landed just after noontime and Dad was due in at 3:00. We waited til 3:00, and no planes landed. Went to the ticket counter and finally found someone, who said, oh nothings landing here now, and that flight went to Bangor ME. We got into my Mom's Ford Falcon (great snow car) and headed out to Reading MA where we lived. Normal forty min drive was about an hour and a half., but we made it. Stopped at a store and got some food and then went home to hunker down and wait out the storm. Snow was absolutely sideways, and the wind was as loud as I can ever remember. On Wed, Dad and 4 other guys pooled together and got a car rental agency to rent them a car, and we met Dad at the Portsmouth circle. Funeral was on Friday in Methuen, and where they moved snow with a front end loader to uncover the grave, it was piled so high that you could not see the canopy over the site until you got to the site. Sad time, but a memorable one also.

As a side note, after the storm we headed up here to do some snowmobiling over the weekend. SS, you are right, we were plowed out, but we had snow about chest deep that we had to shovel to get into the house. The snow banks we have now are every bit as high, but not the result of one storm.