Thread: Laconia and pot
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #30
ApS

Post For Some, It's About Dependency...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Wow APS...Talk about scare tactics and posting a report that is 16 years old. That report was published in 1998 and I'm sure things have changes just a little bit.
"Scare tactics" showed inconsistent results with users of tobacco, which has taken decades to demonstrate its many dangers—and to discourage its use. Marijuana is likewise discouraged in pregnancies, and for young and developing brain cells.

"Changes" like in Colorado?

Quote:
The FDA has not approved the medicinal use of marijuana because there is not enough evidence showing that the benefits of its use outweigh the risks.
Also, medicine requires consistent doses, while each marijuana plant can have very different levels of THC and other compounds.

http://www.lung.org/associations/sta...marijuana.html
My collegiate friend with a newly-created jaw—and plastic teeth (!)—would not have been readily able to read that UK study; however, in his younger days, he would likely have dismissed it anyway. It's easy to dismiss a valid study when your "pleasure-centers" are served better in denial.

My other friend got off oxygen, and is now a pleasure to be around. For a score of years, he seldom ventured into New Hampshire's outdoors—content in his "bubble" of smoke—white as a ghost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
And your friend who died is tragic to say the least, but to somehow correlate that to cannabis is even more tragic.
I didn't know Jerry when he had his drivers license taken away. Jerry knew not to smoke marijuana in my presence, but forever needing to get "high", he'd cash his paycheck, mix up rum-and-cokes where rum was the major ingredient. 'Smoked cigarettes at work, and was cheerful to be around—always happy—explosive laughter—almost giddy! While his drug problem was still "safe" marijuana—he grew more dependent on the "high". I was away for a couple of years, and dreaded the news I fully expected to hear.

Just remembered: Our SCCA club had a "Safety Steward" who smoked marijuana on an active auto race track—while manning a safety station! A friend of mine, I couldn't understand why he was dismissed from his duties for the weekend. (I now know better).

I'd known other "users", but they've moved on...