View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #133
tntm_71we

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acres per Second View Post
That $50 should entitle you to the daytime use of one of their sailboats—but first, one must know how to sail.

One of the trickier parts of sailing is the proper deployment of the centerboard, or "controlling leeward drift". Even facing into the prevailing winds, a sandy bottom will safely assist in acquiring a proficiency needed to control the direction of every kind of boat.

(That is, Ellacoya's sandy bottom )
Hello Herburban,

There are a few realities that need to be aired here:

1. There is a lot of unused space at Ellacoya on the side where the RV park is located. By and large, that beach is empty most of the time. I have been observing that beach almost every day this summer and there's almost no one using it on a regular basis.
2. It's good that not too many people use that beach because it's not patrolled or covered by lifeguards like the beach on the western side of the park. In fact, there's a bridge over the brook so the campers can easily get to the patrolled beach which is where the RV'ers are supposed to go for beach access.
3. While it's permissable to launch boats at Ellacoya, it's not permissable under state law to leave a boat anchored there overnight without the written permission of the landowner. Launching boats where people are also swimming is an extremely dangerous activity and Ellacoya should be enforcing its own rules. If our Sailing Center gets built at Ellacoya, we will have some guest moorings for the RV'ers to use.
4. The last I knew, Ellacoya belonged to the State of New Hampshire, not specifically to the people who camp there. Furthermore, I would think the RV'ers would not want push to come to shove as sailing and teaching sailing are two of the activities that are specifically referred to as desired uses of Ellacoya in the deed conveying Ellacoya to the State. Nowhere in that deed is there a reference to an RV Park or even camping as uses permitted by that deed. The point here is that Ellacoya is a resource that should be accessible by and to as many citizens of the State of New Hampshire as possible in a fashion that does not measureably diminish the quality of the experience. I can assure you that sailors using the park will not object to the presence of the RV'ers. Why shouldn't it work the other way around as well?

There are dozens of sailing centers all around the country and in every location where they exist, they have enriched the lives of the residents of those areas in significant and measureable ways. These facilities are not clubs, they are all open to the public regardless of the ability to pay. Children and adults, both disabled and able bodied, are participating in a clean and green sport and pastime that's gentle on the pocketbook and on the environment. Please tell me what's wrong with this picture!!!

Regards,

Tom Mullen
tntm_71we is offline   Reply With Quote