View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 11:54 AM   #338
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
This law is based on safely and on the common sense. Powerboaters who feel that it is their "right" to travel at unlimited speeds on the lake has made winni dangerous for other boaters. It is as simple as that. There is no conspiracy.
No, it’s based on the fact that a handful of people want to rid the lake of performance boats!! If it was based on common sense, there wouldn’t BE a speed limit. BUT, not everyone uses common sense, and, as we all know, YOU CAN’T LEGISLATE COMMON SENSE! If people are that fearful, perhaps they don’t belong on the lake.

As for a conspiracy, after reading all these posts for and against a speed limit, I believe there is one; it’s a movement by some shorefront property owners to get boats they don’t like off their lake. BI, as one of those property owners, has admitted he wants to rid the lake of performance boats. So, first, it’ll be the performance boats to disappear, then it’ll be the cabin cruisers, then the bass boats and finally, it’ll be anyone who doesn’t own shorefront property. Then the property owners will have their lake to themselves, kind of like what’s happened to Squam Lake.

BI, you said in your post #324 that “The citizens of New Hampshire OWN Lake Winnipesaukee.” Interesting coming from you since you’re not a citizen of NH, but you DO have a lot of money to blow on island property, boats, cars, camping trips to Antarctica and sub-orbital spaceflights! Well, I AM a citizen, born and raised here as were my parents. Unfortunately, I do not own shorefront property on the lake because it’s too expensive; wealthy people like you have priced average citizens like me out of the market. However, it’s beginning to look to me like a small group of people (both NH and out-of-state citizens) want full control of the lake to themselves. If we truly believe that ALL CITIZENS of NH own the lake, then that small group of shorefront property owners should not be allowed to have laws passed that ban other citizens from using the lake just because they choose to enjoy a different style of boating. Since your citizenship is Massachusetts, I believe you should have no say in the control of the lake.

Quote:
Traveling at unlimited speeds on a lake is not an inalienable right. You do not have the right to pursue your own happiness when your actions violate the rights of others. That would be anarchy.
You claim you have the right to kayak ANYWHERE on the lake yet you fear being run over by a powerboat so you push for a speed limit to “make the lake safer”. At what point does your right to kayak anywhere interfere with my rights to enjoy my powerboat at speed?!? Bicycles are not allowed on the interstate highways for a reason; they’re a slow-moving vehicle in close proximity to fast-moving vehicles. This is the same as a kayak or canoe in a wide open area on the main lake where powerboats could be travelling at higher speeds. Instead of a speed limit, maybe it’s time slow-moving watercraft were restricted from certain parts of the main lake (like bicycles from the interstate)!!

I have no problem with people pursuing an activity they enjoy so long as they are willing to accept the risks associated with it. It annoys me when someone wants to do something but they don’t want to accept the risks involved with that activity (fearing something will happen to them) so they lobby for a law in an attempt to make it safer for them. Afraid the parachute won’t open? DON’T GO PARACHUTING!!! Are you a kayaker that fears being run over by a powerboat (ANY powerboat)?? Then don't go in areas frequented by powerboats! People that are afraid to fly, don’t fly unless it’s absolutely necessary (and then they’re a nervous wreck the entire time they’re in the air)! People that are afraid of driving at speed should avoid the interstate highways (but they don't) because they’re only going to cause a traffic jam travelling 35mph in a 65mph zone (when the minimum limit on the interstate is 45mph!)

Quote:
Months ago I challenged anyone here to join me kayaking on the main lake - yet no one has had the courage to accept my challenge. Yet you all continue to dismiss my close calls on the lake as "unfounded" - put a paddle where your mouth is - and then perhaps you'll understand the danger.
You are putting assumptions upon your statement. The FACT is that no one has taken you up on your challenge. The reasons are not yours to assume or postulate without proof. You seem to do this a lot. As far as I’m concerned, taking you up on your “challenge” has nothing to do with courage so stop carrying on about how no one has the “courage” to go with you. For me, physical activity, (including kayaking), does not interest me at this point in my life (much to my physician’s chagrin) so you will not see me in a kayak. If I did happen to kayak, I’d be more than happy to go with you but I’m sure I wouldn’t be able to keep up with you since we all know how fit and healthy you are and I’m not. Besides, I thought the whole idea behind the “challenge” was to see who had the cojones to go out kayaking with you, not who was stronger and faster! As for your close calls, I don’t question that you’ve had them (I’ve had a few myself and I’m in a 25’ powerboat). I only question your estimates of speed and distance but since I wasn’t with you when any of them happened, I can’t say your estimates are right or wrong on their speed or distance from you at the time. And finally, if YOU have so much courage, why push for a speed limit? Just go out kayaking and get your thrills. If you love kayaking in open water where there’s a possibility of you being run over by a powerboat (like in The Broads), THAT’S the risk YOU have to assume!!

Quote:
Most of the member of the Legislature who voted for the bill were doing so base on what this NH law states and because of the testimony of residents. That is their job.
I didn’t know laws were also being voted on based on FEAR. That's not what this country was built on.

Quote:
Now you're judging all kayakers on the actions of a few inexperienced recreational kayakers. That would be like me judging all powerboaters on the actions of one "captain bonehead."
But that’s EXACTLY what you’re doing; you’re pushing for a speed limit based on the actions of a handful of bonehead boaters (well, perhaps more than a handful)!!!

With apologies to Martin Niemoller for taking liberties with his quote:

"First they came for the Performance Boaters but I was not a Performance Boater so I did not speak out;
Then they came for the Cabin Cruisers but I was not one of them, so I did not speak out;
Then they came for the Bass Boaters but I was not a fisherman so I did not speak out.
And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me."

Last edited by Wolfeboro_Baja; 08-14-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added the last paragraph