View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 11:12 AM   #304
chase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
You (and many others here) keep acting like the speed limit only affects GFBL boats, when it affects ALL boats that can exceed 45 mph. I have never singled out GFBL boats. And I and many other paddlers have had experienced close calls on wini from high-speed boats. I'm not making this up.

Now you're judging all kayakers on the actions of a few inexperienced recreational kayakers. That would be like me judging all powerboaters on the actions of one "captain bonehead."

I never kayak without my PFD - no matter where I paddle. And I always dress for the water temperature and take extra clothing and gear with me. I have never been "over my head" on the water - and I have never needed to be rescued. I have been trained to do rescues - both with a kayak and with a powerboat.

My sea kayak is bright red and my friend's kayak is bright yellow, yet we have nearly bee run over by high-speed powerboaters on winni.

Sea kayakers do have one of the best safey records of all boaters - with the lowest percentage of fatalities of all boaters.
Evenstar,

I agree and do not feel that you can judge a group based on the actions of a few.....You ans I should not be restricted from kayaking in the broads just because someone else can't handle it. This is just one of the reasons I have opposed the speed limit. I do not feel it is right to restrict all powerboats boats on this lake based on the actions of a few inexperienced recreational boaters.

You can't have good boaters that are always capable and prepared for the situation, without having the new and inexperienced boater too...we all had a first day on the water.

I too have not felt in "over my head" thus far. I have always been within my abilities and not been afraid of my boating experiences. I am responsible for any situation I may encounter and accept that someday I may find myself wishing I were in the shallow end. I have been taught that there are no experts and there is always more to learn. Perhaps all those who detail their fear filled lake experiences as support for speed limits, were just in to deep.

Chase1